Gnome, (1st-Level Warrior)Edit
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (+1 size, +4 chain shirt, +1 light shield), touch 11, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-3
Attack: Longsword +2 melee (1d6/19-20) or light crossbow +3 ranged (1d6/19-20)
Full Attack:: Longsword +2 melee (1d6/19-20) or light crossbow +3 ranged (1d6/19-20)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Qualities: Gnome traits
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +0, Will -1
Abilities: Str 11, Dex 11, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 8
Environment: Temperate hills (Forest gnomes: Temperate forests)
Organization: Company (2-4), squad (11-20 plus 1 leader of 3rd-6th level and 2 3rd-level lieutenants), or band (30-50 plus 1 3rd-level sergeant per 20 adults, 5 5th-level lieutenants, 3 7th-level captains, and 2-5 dire badgers)
Alignment: Usually neutral good
Advancement: By character class
Gnomes stand 3 to 3-1/2 feet tall and weigh 40 to 45 pounds. Their skin color ranges from dark tan to woody brown, their hair is fair, and their eyes can be any shade of blue. Gnome males prefer short, carefully trimmed beards. Gnomes generally wear leather or earth tones, though they decorate their clothes with intricate stitching or fine jewelry. Gnomes reach adulthood at about age 40, and they live about 350 years, though some can live almost 500 years.
Gnomes speak their own language, Gnome. Most gnomes who travel outside gnome lands (as traders, tinkers, or adventurers) know Common, while warriors in gnome settlements usually learn Goblin.
Most gnomes encountered outside their home are warriors; the information in the statistics block is for one of 1st level.
Gnomes prefer misdirection and deception over direct confrontation.
They would rather befuddle or embarrass foes (other than goblinoids or kobolds) than kill them.
Gnomes make heavy use of illusion magic and carefully prepared ambushes and traps whenever they can.
Gnomes possess the following racial traits.
- +2 Constitution, –2 Strength.
- Small size. +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, –4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits 3/4 those of Medium characters.
- A gnome’s base land speed is 20 feet.
- Low-light vision.
- Weapon Familiarity: Gnomes may treat gnome hooked hammers as martial weapons rather than exotic weapons.
- +2 racial bonus on saving throws against illusions.
- Add +1 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against illusion spells cast by gnomes. This adjustment stacks with those from similar effects, such as the Spell Focus feat.
- +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against kobolds and goblinoids (including goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears).
- +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against creatures of the giant type (such as ogres, trolls, and hill giants).
- +2 racial bonus on Listen checks.
- +2 racial bonus on Craft (alchemy) checks.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Gnome. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Orc.
- Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day—speak with animals (burrowing mammal only, duration 1 minute). A gnome with a Charisma score of at least 10 also has the following spell-like abilities: 1/day—dancing lights, ghost sound, prestidigitation. Caster level 1st; save DC 10 + gnome’s Cha modifier + spell level.
- Favored Class: Bard.
The gnome warrior presented here had the following ability scores before racial adjustments: Str 13, Dex 11, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 8.